Wednesday, July 10, 2013

fangirling happens

If you know me pretty well, you'd know that I'm a bit of a nat-geo magazine nerd.  You know, one of those crazy people who carefully opens the plastic packaging and flips over the magazine to see the cover without any glare and distortion from the package.  Then I read the geography quiz questions on the insert before I turn the first page.  If someone else in my family starts reading the magazine before I do and opens it differently, it feels like a sacrilege. 

For a while, I really wanted to be a photographer for Nat Geo "when I grew up." A few years ago, the question of what I want to be when I grow up changed to what I wanted to major in, etc.  It got a lot more real-life at that point.  I know that you have to be amazing to actually be a photographer for Nat Geo, and I understand that it's basically an unrealistic goal.  Still, little-kid me still says that's what she wants to do.  So for me it's just, "I wish..."

Even though I probably won't ever work for Nat Geo, I still envy people who do.  Today I had the opportunity to listen to Meghan Reese, a producer who has worked on TV shows for Nat Geo (and other companies).  Since I don't have TV at my house, I'm not really that into National Geographic's TV programming, due to not really having much exposure to it.  But still, hearing her talk about what she does was incredible.

From her presentation and Q&A, she shared what she does as a producer and how she has gotten to where she is in the industry.  She lives the life of a creative, working almost nonstop for months or years at a time, then being off for a few months in between job opportunities.  I really enjoyed hearing her talk and answer all of our questions.  So jealous of her for working for Nat Geo...so jealous.

-Kelly L.

2 comments:

  1. Kelly, never think you can't or won't. My key to success was believing my wildest dreams would come true if I worked hard. Be persistent to a fault. I have always kept at it even when people said, "NO!" It has served me well. I am living my dream and push myself every day on every project. I hope my presentation encourages and invigorates you to do the same. You are already taking the steps to invest in your future. Keep at it. Rise to the occasion and face every challenge head on. I wish you all the best in your bright future. MATBR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice. Your presentation was very informative and encouraging. I'm trying my best to make my life an adventure.
    -Kelly L.

    ReplyDelete